Artshack is Seeking a Ceramics Summer Camp Lead Instructor
July 2 - August 31 8:30 - 3:30 Monday - Friday No Camp July 4
WHAT IS ARTSHACK ?
Artshack Brooklyn is a nonprofit ceramics studio in Bed Stuy that seeks to make ceramics as an art form accessible to people of all ages in our community. Through ceramics we empower children, adults and families, fostering creativity, self- respect, leadership and collaboration. We believe in the healing powers of clay!
WHAT IS CERAMICS SUMMER CAMP ?
Our summer camp, established in 2008, is one of the most popular and creative camps in the borough.
Every summer, ArtShack Brooklyn offers 9 weeks of enriching arts programming for children ages - 1. We explore a wide range of materials, media, and forms of creative expression, with a predominant focus in ceramics. Each week of camp has a fun imaginative theme, that guides our conversations, projects and play. Additionally, We offer scholarship positions to children in our community who otherwise would not have exposure to art education opportunities. ArtShack employs a troop of young CITs (Counselors in Training) to assist in all Camp Operations.
A DAY AT ARTSHACK CAMP
- Instructors, teen assistants and CITs arrive by- 8:30
- Young artists begin arriving at 8:30 (early bird) and 9:00 (for regular drop off.)
- We sketch in our notebooks or on a communal fresco, as everyone arrives.
- Mornings are dedicated to Ceramic projects, including the following techniques/tools:
- Slipping and scoring
- Slab roller
- Pottery Wheels
- Applying colored slips
- And more
- We take a break during our morning to enjoy a snack that ArtShack provides. We take this as an opportunity for fun and connection. Here we play ‘restaurant’ and each camper takes turns acting as their desired role.
- After we complete our ceramic morning we eat lunch, either in the studio or outside in the park if its nice.
- After lunch we will spend time in the park, run around, get silly, and play with the ArtShack face paint. Occasionally we will cool off in the sprinklers.
- When we return to ArtShack we explore mixed media projects including:
- Found object sculpture
- Site specific installations
- Wearable art
- Face painting
- Fiber arts
- And much much more...
- Dismissal begins at 3:00, with After Camp going until 4.
- At 4 the ArtShack Ceramic Summer Camp staff restores the studio to its clean and orderly state
before leaving at 4:30.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE:
We are seeking a creative, playful and organized art educator to join our ceramics camp team.
- Able to commit to full summer of camp from uly 2 - August 3, with additional trainings prior.
- Passionate about art & art education for children
- Enthusiastic, Imaginative, and playful personality, loves to have fun with children.
- Undergraduate Degree required, Focus in art or art education referred
- Masters Degree with focus in art or art education referred
- 1 -2 years experience leading a group of children equired
- Strong background in the arts. Fluency with wide range of art materials
- Ceramics experience referred
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong (verbal and written) communication skills
- Strong ability to communicate effectively with children, parents and caregivers
- Flexible and calm in the face of challenges
- Enthusiastic about collaborating with other ArtShack Staff/ Able to provide comprehensive
direction to assistant instructor as well as teen CITs
- Highly committed to administering quality art programming to students
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
- Encouraging to campers and teen CITs, patient and kind, while teaching.
LEAD INSTRUCTOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Arrive promptly a 8:30 a to set up the studio for camp. Ensure that Studio is restored to its orderly state before :30 p. Assistant instructor will stay on to lead After Camp until 4 pm.
- Oversee all aspects of camp, ensuring that all Children are safe, cared for and nurtured through their artistic endeavors.
- Follow safety guidelines
- Provide and implement structured guidelines for acceptable studio behavior to campers and teen
- Support and assist the children in all of their daily needs.
- Lead engaging arts activities 2 or more times a day.
- Guide campers through clean ups
- Support and assist the children in all of their daily needs
- Supervise campers during snack, lunch time at the playground
- Provide one-on-one hands on artistic support to campers during art lessons.
- Occasionally perform administrative tasks (filing, record keeping, etc.) as needed.
- Upholds Artshack Ceramics Summer Camp philosophy, standards, and goals.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org using subject line ‘Camp Lead Instructor’
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio 10 - 12 images ncluding your own own work and/or student work
- List of your proficient art techniques
Because of high volume of applicants we will only contact qualified candidates.